Site news

... And something for yourselves! A Summer Writing Retreat and Jerwood Gallery Competition

... And something for yourselves! A Summer Writing Retreat and Jerwood Gallery Competition

by Mark Slater -
Number of replies: 0

Dear All,

Just thought I'd mention that Susannah Waters will be running a weekend retreat at the High Weald Retreat Centre from Friday 10th to Sunday 12th of August. It's called 'Working on Story' and will deal with the overall flow and structure of your writing, focusing on character, causality, tension and theme. If you're interested, contact Nick Hanna on 01797 253485 or email nick@nickhanna.co.uk

I've attached further details (below)

Also, if you fancy a day trip to Hastings over the Summer, you could drop into the Jerwood Gallery and see if any of their paintings inspire you to put pen to paper. They are running a short story competition called ART STORIES

Here are the details:

Write a story inspired by an artwork at the Jerwood Gallery

Length: 1800 words max

Deadline: midnight on 21st July

Cost: free to enter

Rules: does not matter if it has been published or read elsewhere but must be on theme and your own work

Prize: the story will be read by an actor at the ART STORIES event organised by writer Joan Taylor-Rowan, at The Jerwood Gallery, on 30th September 3-4.30   as part of Coastal Currents.

Details: 

• send as a word doc, attachment Times New Roman, Courier, Ariel fonts, 12pt, black, double spaced 
  • must include your name and the title  and say which artwork inspired it and the name of the artist
  • Send to joanieosb@hotmail.com
Good luck. Let me know how you get on!

All best

Mark